Losing weight, unfortunately, isn’t a one-size-fits-all proposition. What helps one person shed pounds may backfire on another. Because we’re all so different, from our food preferences to our body chemistry, the only successful way to reach and maintain a healthy weight is to find what works for you. We’ve read the studies, the books, the reports, and the theories. We’ve been talking to experts and trying to keep ourselves trim for years. There probably are a million ways to gain 10 pounds, but here are 20 smart ways to lose them.
1. Water yourself. A recent study proved that dieters who guzzled plenty of water lost more weight than those who didn’t.
2. Eat sparingly. Divide your normal portion by two and save the rest for later. You are likely to feel full on less food than you think.
3. Go meatless. In general, vegetarians have lower body weights than their meat-eating peers. Follow their lead — at least until you drop a few pounds.
4. Go vegan. Vegetarianism not helping you lose? Take it to the next level by swearing off eggs and dairy too. Cheese can be a diet killer.
5. Consume more fresh foods. Eliminate all packaged foods and eat only fresh ingredients you’ve prepared. No bags, boxes, cans, or cartons allowed.
6. Diet 2 days a week. If you can’t stick to a program all the time, try slashing your calories to 650 a day just 2 days a week and eating normally the other days. A recent study suggests this offers protection from breast cancer as well as assistance with weight loss.
7. Not so sweet. Everyone knows sugar isn’t healthy, but when you start reading labels, you find it in unexpected places, like pasta sauce and frozen entries. Cutting the sugar out of your diet will mean healthier meals overall.
8. Cut the flour. The short-term elimination of floury foods like white bread and pastries can efficiently kick-start your weight loss plan.
9. Be virgin. Alcoholic beverages are some of the emptiest calories out there. Replace them with water, and the weight comes off.
10. Walk 2 minutes out of every 30. Short walking breaks add up to weight loss.
11. Fidget more. Studies show that fidgety types burn significantly more calories than their stationary peers.
12. Sleep it off. Recent studies have shown that those who don’t get enough shut-eye eat more and reach for more fattening grub than people who get plenty of rest.
13. Get it on. Thirty minutes of sex burns at least 60 calories for a 150-pound woman.
14. Eat at home. Meals eaten away from home have 134 more calories, on average.
15. Start a blog. The weight loss blog is practically a literary genre. Start one, and you aren’t just losing for yourself. Your public needs you.
16. Tweet your weight. Some call it the #humiliation diet, but many credit the accountability for their weight loss success.
17. Lose to win. Bring a taste of The Biggest Losers to your own gym, work, family, or circle of friends for extra motivation.
18. Veg out. Fill two-thirds of your plate with vegetables, which are fewer calories dense and more nutritious than any other type of food.
19. Go nuts! A recent study found that dieters who snacked on shelled pistachios shed more pounds than those who ate other snacks, even though they contained the same amount of calories.
20. Grapefruit diet. A recent study showed that eating one grapefruit daily helped 58 percent of subjects to lose weight.
Tip 1: Find out how many calories you need
BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) / BMR [kcal]
Body Weight [lb] x 15 + (moderate activity [mins/day] x 3.5)
Since you wish to lose weight, your target = BMR – 500 kcal
For instance, you weigh 140 lb and you perform 20 mins of moderate activity every day. BMR of this example = (140 x 15) + (20 x 3.5) = 2100 + 70 = 2170 kcal. BMR minus 500kcal; it would be 2170 – 500 = 1670 kcal. Therefore 1670 kcal is the target in this example to losing 1 lb per week.
Tool: Use our online Calories Calculator to calculate how many calories you need every day.
Tip 2: Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day
Fruits and vegetables are packed with beneficial fibers, vitamins and antioxidants. They fill up your stomach fast so you feel full earlier. They are also low in calories and helps to keep your calorie count low.
Tip 3: Watch for Portion Size
One serving of pasta means 1/2 cup of cooked pasta. However, most restaurants serve a pasta dish with 4 servings of pasta!!! You do not need to finish and clean off the plate every time. You can simply ask to take home the leftover.
Tip 4: Do not Skip Meals
Eating small frequent meals help to balance your calorie intake throughout the day and also keeps your blood sugar level balanced. Instead of eating 3 big meals, try to eat 5 – 6 smaller meals throughout the day.
Tip 5: Go for wholesome fresh foods
Purchase fresh foods and avoid highly processed foods. I called out highly processed foods (I call them HPFs in short) as the real culprit of obesity, not meat or carb. HPFs and fast foods are often higher in sodium and fat content. Many people we spoke to are amazed that they can easily lose weight by packing a home-cooked lunch to work instead of eating out.
Tip 6: Don’t be overly restrictive
Everyone has his or her favorite treats. Simply allow yourself a little indulgence, but watch out for the frequency and the quantity. Having a small treat once in a while can be rewarding to your weight loss experience. Cutting too much of your favorite treats usually lead to an early relapse.
Tip 7: Understand Food Claims and Labels
A product labeled with a fat-free claim does not mean that it is low in calories. Similarly a product labelled as low-sugar or low-carb does not mean it is low in fat or calories. Always read the nutrition label on the packaging.
Read more: Understanding Food Labelings
Tip 8: Watch for the sugary drinks
Juices, soda, cream & sugar in your coffee or tea all add up. Opt for drinking mostly water in a day. In addition to providing hydration to your body, it will also help you feel full. I reviewed various drinks sold widely commercially. I found that some drinks, like milkshakes, are calorie-bombs with over 1000 calories!
Read more: 5 Myths about Drinks
Tip 9: Keep a food journal
Keeping a food journal helps you pin point your eating pattern and will enable you to easily modify it. If possible, have your Registered Dietitian review your journal.
Tip 10: Exercise, period
Most authorities recommend 30 – 60 minutes of physical activity a day to stay healthy. Also try adding weight-bearing exercises at least 2 times a week. This will help burn some of the unwanted calories.
- Exercise for weight loss. Aerobic Workout will facilitate fat loss all over your body, including your belly. You can’t “spot-burn” belly fat, but it’s usually the first to burn off when you Workout, regardless of your body shape or size. Just be sure that you focus on calorie-burning exercises, rather than sit-ups or crunches. If your abdominal muscles are covered in fat, no strengthening of those muscles is working to change that. Aerobic Workout is key.
- Add resistance training. A 2006 study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism suggests that combining cardiovascular/aerobic exercise w/ resistance training is more effective than cardiovascular training alone in getting rid of abdominal fat. You can do resistance training with free weights, exercise machines, or resistance bands.
- Reduce your calorie consumption, and swap out certain foods for others. Unless you restrict your calorie intake, you’re not going to lose belly fat. There are some tactics that might help do away with belly fat faster, but only when you’ve already consistently restricted your calorie intake. For example, consuming an avocado after eating an entire bag of chips isn’t going to assist you get rid of belly fat; in fact, it’ll probably make the problem worse.
- Switch out refined grains for whole grains. In a scientific study, people who consumed all whole grains (in addition to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, three servings of low-fat dairy, and two servings of lean meat, fish, or poultry) lost more belly fat than another group that ate the same diet, but with all refined grains. A diet rich in whole grains shifts the glucose and insulin response in your body, which stimulates the melting of fat, and visceral fat, that deep layer of fat, is easier for your body to burn than the subcutaneous fat under your skin (the fat that you can see and grab).
- Consume the better fats. Studies indicates that a diet with a higher ratio of monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) (avocados, nuts, seeds, soybeans, chocolate) can keep the accumulation of both types of belly fat. Some experts argue, though, that it’s not that these fats specifically target abdominal fat in any way; it’s that anyone will likely lose weight on a lower calorie diet (regardless of where those calories come from) and as discussed earlier, belly fat is commonly the 1st to go.
- Get more fiber in your diet. Soluble fiber (apples, oats, cherries) lowers insulin levels, which, as mentioned earlier, can speed up the burning of visceral belly fat. Add fiber to your diet slowly. If you are currently getting 10 grams of fiber a day, don’t start to 35 grams of fiber the next day. You need to give the natural bacteria in your digestive system time to adapt to your new fiber intake. Leave the skin on. Incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet will add fiber, but only if you take the skin, because that’s where all the fiber is. So don’t peel those apples before you eat them. If you’re taking potatoes, try to leave the skin in the dish (such as if making baked or mashed potatoes) or if you peel them, make a snack out of them, such as baked garlic Parmesan peels. It’s also worth knowing that keeping the skin on potatoes when you cook them will aid keep more vitamins and minerals in the flesh. Just don’t eat any parts of skin that are green. Eat more split pea soup. Split peas is a fiber “power food”. Just one cup of them contains 16.3 grams of protein.
- Motivate yourself by realizing the risks associated with belly fat. Losing belly fat doesn’t have to be solely a cosmetic goal; understanding the health issues linked w/ belly fat can aid motivate you. Belly fat is associated with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. Specifically it’s the deepest layer of belly fat, the fat you can’t see or grab that poses health risks. That’s because these “visceral” fat cells actually produce hormones and other substances that can affect your health (e.g. increased insulin resistance and/or breast cancer risk). The fact that they’re located right next to and in between organs in your abdominal cavity doesn’t assist. For example, fat next to the liver drains into it, causing a fatty liver, which is a risk factor for insulin resistance, putting the stage for Type 2 diabetes.
When it comes to weight loss, selecting your foods can be a real balancing act. You have to lose some of what you’ve grown accustomed to and add some items that may be new to you. Here’s what experts recommends that will promote weight loss
1. Reduce Fat
With regards to fat, the research is clear: Diets too high in fat promote overweight. You should strive to consume no more than 25 percent of your calories from fat.
2. Don’t Be Too Sweet
Numerous studies have linked table sugar to increased calories consumption. While sugar doesn’t do as much dietary damage as fat, you’ll find that when you eat sweets, you simply want to eat more of everything. Not only that, but sugar also make your body excrete chromium, and chromium is a mineral that helps your body build calorie-burning lean tissue.
3. Drink up
If you want to keep your nutrients in balance, you need to drink plenty of unflavored water everyday. Water not only act as a solvent for many vitamins and minerals but also is responsible for carrying nutrients into and waste out of cells, so the body functions properly. As a rule of thumb, you should drink a half ounce of water for every pound of body weight daily, unless you are very active in which case you should increase your water intake to two-third of an ounce per pound of body weight daily.
4. Fill Up On Fiber
You can curb your hunger by increasing your daily intake of fiber, which is filling, so you feel full but eat less. To do that experts recommend eating more fruits, vegetables and whole grain cereals.
5. Get treatment For Food Allergies.
Some researchers believe that overweight is the result of craving foods that they are allergic to. For these people, weight loss is extremely difficult until they figure out what these food triggers are and eliminate them from their diets. There are specific food allergies that trigger uncontrollable craving and bingeing. It is a common problem in over-eaters. If you suspect that food allergies might be part of your problem, see an allergy specialist to help you identify the offending items.
What you eat-and what you don’t eat – in a large part determines whether you eventually become successful in your weight loss regime.
To most people, the struggle to lose weight is even more intense as we get older. However there are ways you can slightly alter your daily routine that will make fat loss both simple and rapid.
All diet plans and weight loss experts tell us that weight loss depends on two things: Calories taken in and calories burned. We are also told that it is not what you do in one day that will lead to fat loss, it is what you do in one week that makes the difference between weight gain and weight loss.
The key to successful endeavors is to make a plan and the stick with that plan. Most people have no problem making the plan. But it’s the ‘sticking to it’ that is the toughest. So make a plan that will easily fit into your current routine. Here are two quick easy ways to optimize you fat loss:
Chart a plan for weight loss
Taking steps to implement a food journal is key to seeing what you are consuming and burning in one full week. Tell yourself that on your first week, you will not change your habits. You will simply record your habits. Then, at the end of the week, take a look at how much you are actually eating. You will probably be astounded.
Remember, you must write down EVERY single bite or sip of whatever you drink for future fat loss efforts. There are many online food journals that will do this the calorie calculations for you. Also, write down any time you spend walking or exercising for fat loss exercise or just as your regular routine and then tally the calories you burned.
Continue this into your second week and there on out until it becomes second nature to keep a running total of calories consumed/burned in your head each day. Also, after a couple of weeks, you will know second-nature of your allowed calories for the day. Pretty soon, you won’t want to snack or graze because you don’t want to have to write it all down.
Easy work -out
It may interest you to know that a moderate walk lasting for 30 minutes burns over 130 calories? That is significant and can be done on your lunch hour or after work each evening. There is no escaping exercise, it is most necessary in weight loss. Walking is the most easy and effortless activity that can be done anywhere. There’s no need to join expensive gyms for fat loss or spend long hours sweating in aerobics classes. Vow to take a thirty minutes walk twice a day. The calories burned will often add up high enough to make up for one whole meal eaten that day. Be sure to log this exercise time into your food journal.
Diets are not necessary in fat loss nor are boring workout sessions. Choose to succeed and change your life today with these simple alterations to your daily routine. You will be both happier and healthier, not to mention having a slimmer smart body.
Flattening your stomach is not difficult process .There are many reasons why you might want to flatten your stomach. Perhaps you just had a child and you want to smooth out the post labor look. Maybe you have packed on an extra few pounds over the holiday. Your reason could be purely cosmetic. Whatever your logic is for flattening your stomach, there is a very easy four step method to doing so. With a positive attitude and a few small changes, you can have the look you want within thirty days. The following are tips to getting that abs back in shape and becoming more fit and attractive all around.
1. Drink Up
The key to toning up any part of your body is first making the necessary changes in your diet. If you are eating all the wrong foods, the process will take longer. The first tip to shed some extra pounds is to consume the appropriate amount of water. Water helps to cleanse your entire body and helps to burn fat. Replace as many sugary drinks as you can with plenty of plain unflavored water. The recommended intake is two litres a day.
2. Apply This Formula
It is not good to concentrate in on one area of the body to effective weight loss regime. You need to decrease overall body fat. The most effective way to truly flatten your stomach is to cut your calories and exercise more. As for calories counting to lose weight, you need to be very conscious about what you put in your body. You can base your calorie cutting on this simple formula: 1 pound equals 3,500 calories. Use that equation as a guide to dropping calories on a weekly basis.
3. Create A work-Out Plan
When you start your healthy eating plan, you’ll automatically reduce your caloric intake and start to shed some weight. However, unless you add exercise into the mix, your metabolism will eventually slow down and ultimately reduce your ability to burn stomach fat. First, you must participate in cardiovascular activities. Cardiovascular activities include activities such as running, biking, and using the treadmill. These activities will speed up your metabolism and burn off calories quickly.
Before you leave the gym, you can zone in on abdominal specific exercises. Sit-ups are very good for strengthening and toning the abdominal muscles. Using ab machines will also work. One more exercise you can do on your own is pulling your stomach muscles in and holding them for as long as you can. This will make them more firm and less likely to stick out.
4 . Fill up on Fiber
You can curb your hunger by increasing your intake of dietary fiber, which is filling, so you feel full but eat less. To do that, experts recommend eating more fruits, vegetables and whole grain cereals.
Shakes, puddings, powders and grapefruit: Name the diet, and you’ve tried it, each time hoping it would be the one that works. Then you watched that dreaded needle on that dreadful scale drift right back up to where you started.
It is embarrassing that a bulging belly can prevent you from getting into a fitted dress, top or swim suit. The spare pounds of flesh hanging loosely around your tummy can increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, asthma and diabetes. Thankfully, you don’t need a complicated diet plan to learn how to get rid of belly fat. Stomach flab may be stubborn, but it’s no match for proper nutrition, by hydration, exercise and a can-do-attitude.
You can blast your belly fat in various ways. Plastic surgery is one way, which could help you get a flat tummy within a day. However, the costs and risks involved with the procedure are high. This leaves you with diet and exercise options.
While Nutrition and exercise are safe methods of losing the excess fat, they are slow. You cannot get the desired results in a day or week because each body responds differently. In addition, diet and exercise have to work simultaneously to bring about the best results. Consequently, you require lots of patience in order to get good results.
Helpful Workouts If you have just had a baby, you might want to seek your doctor’s advice before you can embark on any workout plan. This will prevent injury to your delicate abdomen. On the other hand, you can start with simple exercises of tightening your pelvic muscles. Later after healing, you could try other exercises that your doctor may recommend depending on your healing progress. On the other hand, a flabby tummy due to eating lots of food means fat has accumulated in your body. You can rid yourself of this fat by getting involved in cardiovascular exercises. These exercises enable you to burn the fat that accumulates around your waistline. Jogging, walking and bicycling work wonders in burning fat. Ensure that you do any or all these three times a week to get an excellent outcome.
Your Nutrition A proper diet goes a long way in ensuring that you get a flat tummy. You should minimize your sugar intake while avoiding white carbohydrates such as rice and bread. Instead, eat brown rice and whole wheat bread. Similarly, reduce your dairy intake. If you must have milk, ensure it is skim. Furthermore, plant proteins do not give you unnecessary fats that could make your stomach bulge. Including them in your daily intake is a great way to cut down fat and get important nutrition. In addition, fruits and vegetables provide you with fiber that will help in the digestion of your food.
You should not eat and immediately go to bed. This will actually put on more weight. Waiting up for two to three hours before going to bed after eating will ensure proper digestion. Apart from this, you should also ensure that you drink lots of water. Two liters a day will ensure that toxins are pushed out of your body and will help keep you from accumulating fat.
Using nutrition and exercise to get a flat tummy can be a gradual process. In order to reap maximum benefits, you should have discipline. Watch what you eat all the time and take part in a workable exercise routine.
However you can get addition plenty of meaty information on how to blast your belly fat and shape up in 7 days HERE.